Sunday, September 26, 2004

The Quietest Large City

I don't know if it is all the bicycles, or the large spaces of open air created by the canals, or just the inclination of the Dutch, but Amsterdam is by far the quietest large city I've ever been in. Loud tourists really stick out. I guess I don't as much, because people keep coming up to me and asking me questions in Dutch. Anyway, it is such a pleasant change from all the noise and crazy driving in so many of the other places I've been.

There are so many bicycles here... it seems that everyone has one. And with bike paths going both ways on so many of the major streets and flat terrain interupted only by the slight elevation of canal bridges, its very pleasant to bike here.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Philosopher's Stones are highly recommended.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home